So this is a little list of some of the key bits and bob’s we’re going to need to make this trip happen; along with some thanks to those that have helped us out so far by donating supplies that we can use to get us nearly half way around the globe in one piece…
- Tents – we have a few courtesy of Tom, but still need a few more!
- Sleeping Bags – It might be the height of Summer, but Ulaanbaatar is the world’s coldest capital city.
- Van Signwriting. So we can put all your lovely names on it. We’ve got some, but we still need more
- Maps – Good old fashioned paper maps, the type that can’t crash, run out of battery or chastise us for missing a turning.
- Global GPS Device – Something that can tell us definitively where we are, or even what country we are in, could be a very useful acquisition.
- A windbreak – One of these!
- A gazebo, or awning. – One that can be put up in less than 16hours though please?
- Basic set of spare parts for an LDV Convoy – It is an LDV remember? We already have some bits so get in touch!
- Travel Guides. Have a look at our route for details of where we are going!
- Phrase books. Une beire s’il vous plait might not cut it with an angry Russian border guard.
- Bribes aka Gifts. Little presents to oil the wheels of bureaucracy at borders, alcohol miniatures, boxes of sweets, etc…
- Outdoorsy Clothing – Rain jackets, sensible shoes, a cardigan? Mum’s dream…
- Ratchet Straps. For getting us out of holes.
- “Go Pro” / Dashboard Recorder / Timelapse Recorder. To document our travels!
- Air Fresheners. By God do we need some Air Fresheners…
- Van Jack. Word is we might need to change a wheel or six…
- Visas. Can’t get all that far without them.
- Foreign Currency. We’ll take Euros, US Dollar, Bosnian Mark, Bulgarian Lev, Kuna, Forint, Tenge, Tögrög, Leu, Serbian Dinars, Hryvnia, or pretty much any other currency off you, even Pounds…
Thanks to you we’ve already got:
A Vehicle– We’ve gone out and bought they, you can still contribute to the costs though! Jerry Cans– in the most sparsely populated country in the world, you can’t just pop to Morrisons when you need some Diesel Basic Toolkit– less than 20% of Mongolia’s roads are paved, this isn’t going to be a smooth ride.
Spare Wheels to suit LDV Convoy– Thanks Wicked Technical Services! Camping Stoves– thanks Tom’s Mum & Dad! Van Spot-lights. Thanks Wicked Technical Services! Tinned Food– Thanks to some rather paranoid relatives! Solar AC Charger/Inverter– Tom needs something to plug his hair straighteners into? Blankets– Thanks to Alexis Leeks and others… Lanterns– We’d love a “Tilley Lamp” but would settle got a good battery powered one! Satellite Phone– The lovely people at Global Telesat have already sorted us out here! Water Flasks– Thanks Wicked Technical! 12V Inverter– This time for Charlie’s straighteners… Leisure Battery– We’ll use this to keep the lights on overnight… Spare Battery– Tom’s going to do some kind of electro-wizardry to make sure the battery never runs flat. Window Tinting Stuff– No peeping Tom’s in the night! Thanks Simon Nicholls CB Radio. Breaker Breaker… 12V Fridge. Thanks Paul! Solar Shower. Thanks Wicked Technical Services! Mosquito and Insect Stuff. Thanks Wicked Technical Services! Spade– Thanks!